Thursday, October 29, 2009

Running Admin Tools from a non-domain joined computer

As a consultant I find myself at client sites and working from my Statera laptop that I do not join to the clients domain. So usually my only option for running admin tools is to remote into a server and run the tools from there, not too bad. Tried running with the runas command and it never worked, even though I usually have domain admin credentials in the clients domain, get an error. So a friend of mine posted a link to this blog post, http://www.jameskovacs.com/blog/TIPHowToRunProgramsAsADomainUserFromANondomainComputer.aspx
here the author talks about running SQL tools in a similar situation to me. So I tried it out for a few other admin tools and yes, it works great. The trick if you didn't already follow the link is to use the /netonly switch in the runas command line argument:
runas /netonly /user:domain\username "Path to admin tool"
works like a charm and plan to use it more at client locations. I am also toying with the idea of creating a Powershell application to automate this, if I get it going will post it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment