Monday, March 7, 2011

Windows Phone 7

So I have had the Samsung Focus from AT&T since the US launch on November 8, 2010. I went to a launch party at the Microsoft Store in Lone Tree, Co that day and bought by phone. Overall I love it! I like the ability to control my start screen with applications and contacts I use frequently. So after 5 full months tomorrow what do I think are the hits and misses? read on and find out.
Hits:
Customizable start screen:
This is one great feature I think over the iPhone. Able to pin applications and contacts I use regularly to my start screen. I have my calendar, various email accounts, my family contacts and a few applications on my start screen. I also have the Gaming hub, Picture Hub, Music Hub (Zune pass member) as well as a few other on the start screen. Live Tiles makes this great, especially for new emails and weather info!.

Likes:
Applications:
As of this post the Marketplace has over 9000 apps! I have the Weather.com app pinned to my start screen for updates as well as Seesmic for Twitter and Chatter.com feeds. I also have a couple apps for my four year old daughter to quickly access (and she can easily find everything on my phone as well). ScoreMobile is also pinned as I am a big sports fan (would love to see Live Tile updates for my favorite teams!)
I also love the gaming features with WP7, XBox live integration is great and have grown my gaming points with XBox live integrated games.

People Hub:
Love that I can combined many different contacts from various email and Facebook into a single entry. This is nice to consolidate my friends and not see multiple entries for the same person. Also the Facebook integration is great, get a quick glance to see the latest info from my friends. Looking forward to Twitter integration with the People Hub.

Email:
Love that I can have multiple Exchange Activesync accounts configured on the phone. As I am a consultant and do numerous Exchange projects I found myself wiping my work email and then configuring the clients test account with my phone during each engagement. Now I just add an account to my phone to test without affecting my work account. I actually have 3 ActiveSync accounts configured right now, my primary work email, my Microsoft.com VTSP account and my Beta Office 365 account.

Overall:
Great phone and love that I can customize the start screen and all the applications that are available for the phone.

Needs:
Cut and Paste - didn't think I would miss this but have and can't wait for the update that will include this.
Email Conversation View - got use to this with Outlook 2010 and really want it to be on my phone as well
SMS Text integration with Outlook 2010 - again didn't think I needed this but while on Outlook 2010 and Mobile 6.5 got use to it and liked the ability to create and reply to SMS messages from Outlook 2010
Marketplace Search Improvements - hate that a search in the marketplace returns songs and apps, would like to search just for apps or music; think this is coming in the next update
Camera Settings - hate that the camera settings revert to the default each time I launch it. Read that this is a feature because of the quick camera feature, which is cool, but should be a setting to allow my custom camera settings to become the default.

Overall a great platform and with the Microsoft/Nokia partnership and the CDMA phones coming online it will only grow. I think Microsoft is in it for the long haul and I fully support the platform and evangelize it any opportunity I can. Talked to a few co-workers who have switched to WP& and they love it as well! Just need to convince people to try it and it will grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment